Sink tap mounting nut is stuck

T

TomBridges

Hi Everyone, I was replacing the sink taps as they are leaking (an about 40 years old!).

But the sink tap mounting nut is stuck on one of the taps meaning it is imposible to get of...

I've tried a basin wrench and an adjustable wrench, but simply cannot get it to move.

I've also tried tapping it with a hammer to try and work it lose but simply cannot get it to move.

Any ideas are welcome.. else i'll be buying a new sink!

Tom

Sponsored Links
reading your post I'm guessing you mean a china basin? Or do you mean a kitchen sink?
No matter, I would try bracing the backnut underneath and forcing the spout of the tap away to undo it. Only need a small movement then spin it back and go again - soon you'll get some movement.
Tip - you only need to be able to raise it up a couple of mm to get a hacksaw blade in.

watch out for excess force busting the china, swarf going down into the pipe and also scratching the sink.

Sponsored Links
Good luck. A good squirt of wd-40 left overnight might be as effective. Wasn't being picky about it being a basin btw just clarifying. China breaks that's all.

Have you used the correct tool, ie a box spanner?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...-box-spanner/path/pipe-benders-plumbing-tools

If this still won't shift, fit the box spanner on the tap nut, and brace the tommy bar that sticks out of the spanner against the wall. Then carefully turn the spout and tap anti-clockwise. You may need something to go over the spout to act as a lever, perhaps large adjustable spanner.

Just be careful with tools near the sink. They break real easy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back