Sink waste to soil stack or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a sink installed in the downstairs loo and wondered if it's ok for the waste to go out the wall and into the soil stack 50cm away? The alternative is a 250cm run to the same outlet as the kitchen waste.

I've been warned that going into the soil stack could cause smells to come out the sink if the trap dries up. The alternative just means more external piping.

I know a strap on boss is what I need for the stack.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The 'basin' ;) will enter the soil stack about 50 cm above the toilet waste from the same direction.

The bathroom loo enters the stack on the floor above so 200 cm above the basin entry.

Do those figures look okay? I understand that there are minimum distances from loo entry of the stack and waste. Like don't have them facing each other.

Do you get any suction from the toilet flushing all that distance above and passing the boss. ( The images of this are making me chuckle )

I also have to go past the soil stack to the kitchen basin waste so I'd prefer it to be a correct job.

Sponsored Links
Likewise, I can’t see any problem. Being an external stack it should be open vented & this will (should) prevent the trap siphoning; I have a very similar situation with the connection to a new downstairs utility room via a boss strap from an upstairs soil stack. Any connection must be a minimum of 450mm from the drain invert (the horizontal bit in the ground) but that’s not usually a problem; if you want more details, look in Part H of the Building Regs. here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000000380.html

The soil pipe manufacturers also do useful guides based on Building Regs requirements; to be found on their web sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back