Siphonic Flush WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst at my mum's house recently, the WC seemed to be rather slow operating and short of water during the flushing cycle.

Before I strip it to see what can be replaced. Can anyone give some pointers as to which bits will need replacing.

I think as it is part of a bathroom suite. Replacing the WC is not an option at this moment!

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Whilst at my mum's house recently, the WC seemed to be rather slow operating and short of water during the flushing cycle.

is the cistern full of water before you flush it ?
rather slow in what way ?

A new toilet and cistern would cost about 70 quid.....if the syphonic disc has gone you might get a replacement....but i doubt it. And you need to strip it out.....so just spend a few quid and replace it

Hi Seco/s.

Yes the cistern is full. However, when the lever is flushed, water spouts up the thru the hole where rod passes thru into the chamber which starts the action of flushing.

When I say it is slow! I mean the action of the water entering the pan and exiting. I don't mean filling the cistern.

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco/s.

Yes the cistern is full. However, when the lever is flushed, water spouts up the thru the hole where rod passes thru into the chamber which starts the action of flushing.

Alan
change it for a flap valve or a drop flush valve ...common replace job - plumbers merchant or even a DIY shed.

Syphonic flush will be slower. An ordinary pan relies on the effect of the flush to wash the contents of the pan away. In direct comparison, the old high level cisterns used to flush quite quickly, but the action of the flush was devastatingly effective!

A syphonic uses the suction to empty the pan. The flush starts off the syphonic action, the water then washes down the sides of the pan, and refills the trap afterwards. It isnt relying on the action of the water alone to clear the pan.

What is the actual problem with the W.C.? If its clearing the pan then its working as it should be! :LOL:

Hugh,

All I can say is! The flush compared with over the years has become a bit slow, resulting in not always clearing the pan fully and cleanly.

Note.
I suspect it is a 'dual' flush WC. It does have the big 'bomb shape part in the cistern.

a big bomb shape? like a bell?
is it high level , low level or close coupled?

you can replace the whole mechanism inside the cistern for less than a tenner if you shop around.
does it look like any of these?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/toilet-siphons-2206-0000

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44047/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Toilet-Siphon-203mm-8

much easier than trying to fix an old one.

that rod that goes down into the top of the siphon , is it the one that attaches to the flush handle? as far as i know there should be a seal on this , it sounds like yours has failed.

I don`t think it`s a syphonic trap WC - I think OP means the flush syphon in a WC :confused: Dual flush... Bomb :confused:

The WC is low flush and has a 'bomb bell' bit that does the flushing.

It does not look like any of the flushing things you buy at Plumb World etc.

Thanks

Problem is OP, that your terms are confusing to us tradesmen :oops: . There is a bell in that cutaway cistern - and a device that fits inside- hidden away in a Syphonic Outlet WC is called a bomb. Any chance of a picture :?: The Flush Syphon in the cistern could be plastic or even ceramic... then again Dual flush with water squirting up could mean you`re only getting a half flush because a small plug has dropped out

Sorry guys, I am 200 miles away!

From what I remember it is a bulbos shaped porcelain flushing thing, which appears to have a number of brass screws holding it together at the bottum.

PS.
Nothing like the photo in the link. The WC is very modern porcelain looking, and is Low flush, Close Coupled with 4 brass screws holding the cistern to the pot. I estmate it to be 40-50 yrs old??

PPS. How do I Bookmark this thread ? I always have to search for it!

Sorry guys, I am 200 miles away! NO WORRIES ;)

From what I remember it is a bulbos shaped porcelain flushing thing, which appears to have a number of brass screws holding it together at the bottum.

PS.
Nothing like the photo in the link. The WC is very modern porcelain looking, and is Low flush, Close Coupled with 4 brass screws holding the cistern to the pot. I estmate it to be 40-50 yrs old??

it!
Right .. a Ceramic syphon for the flush.. that could have a new diaphragm made up for it . :idea: Now the pan it`self may be a syphonic outlet ..do you recall if it has a shallow bowl with a small outlet -that, when working seems to "draw" the water etc. away :?: If it`s like that, rather than a conventional big-ish outlet -you have an old syphonic pan too :idea: Your guess @ it`s age is about right too ;)

Nige,

The pan is fairly shallow with a small outlet. The waste is sucked out, followed by a water fill.

I will close this post for now until I an get up to my Mum's house to clarify questions.

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back