Sisan Steam Smoother is this allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sisan_Dampfglaett_Geraet_bei_shop_KuSeRa.jpg
I was clearing out late mothers stuff, I came across one of these marked 240 volt 890W class II at first I thought a standard iron then I read the instructions. There is a small measuring jug and it says put salt as well as water just enough to fill the little dimple at top of handle.

It looked as if never used, and the UK plug had no safety shields on pins, so must be quite old. It needs to be unplugged to fill one removes the handle completely, it warns too much salt and too much steam and no salt and no steam.

I put an insulation tester between line and neutral and there is an open circuit. It does seem it passes power through the water and there is no element, not dismantled it to be sure, but it does seem that's how it works.

It would seem to be an electrode water heater (554.1 old 17th Edition)
BS7671:2008 said:
554.1.7 Where the electrode water heater or electrode boiler is not piped to a water supply or in physical ,contact with an earthed metal, and where the electrodes and the water in contact with the electrodes are so shielded in insulating material that they - cannot be touched while the electrodes are live, a fuse in the line conductor may be substituted for the circuit-breaker required under Regulation 554.12 and the shell of the electrode water heater or electrode boiler need not be connected to the neutral of the supply.

It seems it is allowed, however it all relies on the correct amount of salt being added which seems a little hit and miss. Marked TERSON 1979 Made in France although it seems wrong can't actually find anything that says it should not be sold.

Sponsored Links
yes use salt to complete the circuit quite common in the 80s:D:eek:
not quite sure why you think anything or person on the internet or other association would take the time and effort to time travel through several decades in the past to make comments :D on old and very old situations that may or may not comply with what is accepted now

Last edited:
What was allowed in France in 1979 has little bearing on current regs. If in doubt, chuck it out.

mines was from a uk based company as a uk product and was cream in colour
you fill the dimple on the handle with salt

Sponsored Links
.... marked 240 volt 890W class II .... It would seem to be an electrode water heater ...
Whilst your reasoning is sensible enough, how on earth could/would they have indicated something as apparently specific as "890W" if the power drawn was going to be crucially dependent upon the amount of water and salt put into it?

Kind Regards, John

All writing on English both on the unit and the box and instructions. Fitted with standard 13A plug. Seem to remember something similar use as a cup boiler, but uses coffee not salt. However did not twig what this was at first 890W seems to make one think there is an element. But new dry as it still is the resistance can't even be measured at 1000 volt shows over 1000MΩ.

All writing on English both on the unit and the box and instructions....
The photo is far from clear, but isn't that German writing on the unit?
... However did not twig what this was at first 890W seems to make one think there is an element.
Indeed - as I said, it sounds like a ridiculously precise power to specify on something of almost 'indeterminate' power!
But new dry as it still is the resistance can't even be measured at 1000 volt shows over 1000MΩ.
Is there no indicator neon or somesuch. I presume you are sure that it was 'switched on' (if it has a switch!) when you measured? Is there any possibility that there is a float switch or somesuch inside it?

I have to confess that, if it were me, I'm not sure that I would be able to resist the temptation to try to 'dissect' it :)

Kind Regards, John

from memory its literally two prongs[electrodes]from the socket nothing else
but off course 35-40 years on my memory could be clouded by several million gallons off cider:D

That is what I would expect to find, before filling with water infinity MΩ @ 250 volt, 500 volt and 1000 volt, after filling with water (no salt) at 250 0MΩ, with multi-meter 200k range open circuit. Empty out again 15MΩ @ 250 volt, it has a ball bearing at front not sure why but other wise seems to be a red plastic tank with a plug designed so you have to unplug iron before filling it.

Sisan_Dampfglaett_Geraet_bei_shop_KuSeRa.jpg
I was clearing out late mothers stuff, I came across one of these marked 240 volt 890W class II at first I thought a standard iron then I read the instructions. There is a small measuring jug and it says put salt as well as water just enough to fill the little dimple at top of handle.

It looked as if never used, and the UK plug had no safety shields on pins, so must be quite old. It needs to be unplugged to fill one removes the handle completely, it warns too much salt and too much steam and no salt and no steam.

I put an insulation tester between line and neutral and there is an open circuit. It does seem it passes power through the water and there is no element, not dismantled it to be sure, but it does seem that's how it works.

It would seem to be an electrode water heater (554.1 old 17th Edition)

It seems it is allowed, however it all relies on the correct amount of salt being added which seems a little hit and miss. Marked TERSON 1979 Made in France although it seems wrong can't actually find anything that says it should not be sold.

I have just found my Sisan, I bought it at the Ideal home exhibition. It was sold to us on the basis that you could iron your curtains in situ thus avoiding hassle of taking them down. Likewise it never got used much plus I cant find the two pin lead to power it up. Does anyone know if they are still available?

I hope not, think mine went in the bin, did not look as if my parents had ever used it, to iron curtains in place, I wonder what a wall paper removal tool would do? Never tried it, I use some thing like this
main_21_Webpnetresizeimagejpg.jpg
only time they need ironing is after washing and steam press in same room as washing machine and tumble drier, where there is no heating so we can open window wide, not sure I want to produce steam in a room without really good ventilation. And at moment that means a cold room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back