Sistering joists to level a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been asked a thousand and one times before...

I've been asked to level an upstairs floor thats about and inch and a bit out of level diagonally across the floor.

There are no obvious reasons why it is out of level it would just appear to be movement as it is an old pit house.

I'm obviously looking for cost vs labour in methods to do this job.

I was thinking of sistering the original 9 x 2 joists with 4 or 6 x 2 and coach bolting every 400 centers.

As doing this either end will not be supported, is this ok? Are there any regs relating to this method?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you're thinking of additional sister joists I'd assume there are no boards. To be honest I'd fix firring strips to the tops of the joists, it'd be quicker and cheaper.

A few people have said this, I thought it would be more time consuming :\ but then again i've not done it before!

I think I will end up doing the firings as the general concensus says it would be the best method!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back