Siting of new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have no plumbing heating knowledge, save what I've quickly gleaned from this great forum

We have had a conservatory built accross the back of our house, so now the boiler flue exit is directly above the conservatory roof and would ony be accessible by climbing onto the conservatory roof.

My questions are

1) Is this allowed and would the gasses causes cause any lasting damage to the glass (dsicolouration etc.)

2) Would british gas (or any other fitter for that matter) be able to mainitain the boiler with the flue in that posisition (I'm thinking about when they stick a probe in the flue - they'd have to do it with a long stick or something)

3) I've spoken to the builder and he suggested moving the flue near to the boudary wall. The boundary is sepearted by a 6' high wooden fence and I'm guessing the flue would be within 4" of this boundary. (the walls don't face each other, the backs of our house are joined in one long staright line) Is this option allowed ???

cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
Hmme....

The flue needs a certain clearance from anything above, beside or underneath it. This distance is usually 300 mm but some makers allow less but it needs to be checked for your unspecified boiler in its installation instructions.

Any competent builder would have considered the flue before building a conservatory!

A builder is NOT a competent person to advise on the flue or moving it or where might be acceptable. This must be a CORGI registered person.

In my view, your builder has committed a fau pas and could be considered liable for the cost of correcting the problem if the safety of your boiler has been compromised!

There is no need to have acccess to the flue terminal, although its nice when thats available, but obviously it is not on a 10 story high building!

Tony

thanks for the reply, to be fair to the builder he did say about moving the boiler onto another wall, but we said no beacuse it would impinge on kitchen space - so it's our fault really...you learn by your mistakes..

Can you clarify on the flue posistion then - you don't need access to this for maintenance or checking ? I though you did for testing purposses, perhaps I need to speak directly to whoever is going to fit it. ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back