[size=18]Possible Murder - Save my Wife![/size]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have screeded half of my extention to accept cerramic tiles, now the wife has changed her mind and wants wooden floor boards! ( TYPICAL!!) :mad:

Can I lay floor boards directly ontop of screed without a gap or counter battens?

Help me to avoid a life sentence!

Thank you in advance. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
She's absolutely right to change her mind and go for wood ;)
Depending on what type of floorboards she wants (how wide, solid or wood-engineered) you could install the wood floor floating BUT - the screed has to be dry enough!

Thanks for your reply WoodYouLike mate my wife owes you her life! :)

Am I right when I say that pine contract floor boards from builders merchants dent/mark really easy? I'd like something thats a bit durable

also, do I lay it on anything ? like underlay or glue ?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Pine is soft wood and will indeed dent and damage easy. Hardwood like Oak is better.
As long as your screed floor is dry and level you can use an underlayment that contains a dpm and install the floor floating glueing all T&G's correctly. If you go for solids, makes sure you don't end up with one of the 'cheap offers' 'cos the many very short lengths will look horrible and your floor would be unstable due to all the joins. Also, with solids, leave an expansion gap: 4mm per meter width of the room with a minimum of 10mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back