size of cable

S

Shutpa

Want to run an extension lead to power tv, dvd recorder and video recorder. How do I determine the right size of cable?

Sponsored Links
The loads you have quoted are quite small in total. However, despite the best intentions of the owner, extension cables rarely power only the planned loads throughout their life. Therefore, I suggest you obtain some 2.5mm flex, protected by a 13A plug. You can then use the extension cable for virtually any domestic device, or devices, up to a total of 3kW. Incidentally, I doubt that your devices will exceed 1 kW. You need to examine the data labels on the back of the devices and add up the ratings.

Thanks for your reply kevnurse but the cable will be trunked and NEVER used for anything else. I want to use the narrowest cable possible.

You will only probably need a lead rated a few amps for what you need, what size fuse is in the telly plug? Is there a wattage on the label of the telly? How long lead do you need?

Sponsored Links
You will only probably need a lead rated a few amps for what you need, what size fuse is in the telly plug? Is there a wattage on the label of the telly? How long lead do you need?

Thanks for your response. The wattages are as follows:television 55, dvd recorder 30 and video recorder 16 (Total 101). Does that help, bearing in mind I want the thinnest possible cable?

0.5mm 3 core flex will be fine, use a 3A fuse in the plug.

if you're putting it in trunking, why won't you use 2.5mm T&E? it's cheap and widely available and will easily cope with more than 13A. You could run it as a spur if you want, or via an FCU and put a multi-way on it.

lol

If your familily don't understand that fuses need to be sized to match the cable and that thin extention leads are not suitable for vacum cleaners you need to educate them on this fact.

lol

If your familily don't understand that fuses need to be sized to match the cable and that thin extention leads are not suitable for vacum cleaners you need to educate them on this fact.

Thanks for that plugwash. How do I work out the correct fuse size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back