Size of gas pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the required size of the gas pipe for a new installation of a condensing combi?

I'm looking att replacing my old system boiler, and the guy I had around last week for a quote said I had to replace my old gas pipe with 22 mm ones. Just curious...since it looks pretty expensive to do it (£260+VAT)...

Anyhow, FYI the total quote came to ~£3100+VAT. That includes the boiler at £1600 (condensing combis... :rolleyes: ), power flush of old system, fitting TRV, conversion of open vented system to sealed, some pipe work then since I want to move the boiler out of the kitchen to the utility room in the back instead, all the building works, etc. About 2 days work as I understand. Also getting 2 years guarantee on the whole system, including the original radiators.

Not too shabby I think, or?

Sponsored Links
JayS said:
What is the required size of the gas pipe for a new installation of a condensing combi?
There's an article that explains how to size gas pipes HERE

JayS said:
There's an article that explains how to size gas pipes HERE

Edit: That's odd, this reply appears here twice but is not listed in the replies column.

Thanks CH4! :)

That explains it perfectly. It's ~15-20m from the meter to where the boiler is going, so 22 mm pipes make sense.

Sponsored Links
£1600 notes for the boiler.......... have you looked at the plice of say an Ideal Isar30

around £850.........

Darren

darren7 said:
£1600 notes for the boiler.......... have you looked at the plice of say an Ideal Isar30

around £850.........

Darren
It's a Worcester-Bosch, and the price includes installation...so it's not outrageous. But I'm getting 3 different quotes, and then I'll pick. :)

JayS said:

I'm looking att replacing my old system boiler, and the guy I had around last week for a quote said I had to replace my old gas pipe with 22 mm ones. Just curious...since it looks pretty expensive to do it (£260+VAT)...

Anyhow, FYI the total quote came to ~£3100+VAT. That includes the boiler at £1600 (condensing combis... :rolleyes: ), power flush of old system, fitting TRV, conversion of open vented system to sealed, some pipe work then since I want to move the boiler out of the kitchen to the utility room in the back instead, all the building works, etc. About 2 days work as I understand. Also getting 2 years guarantee on the whole system, including the original radiators.

Not too shabby I think, or?

The costs of the parts, other than the boiler, doesn't look as though it would cost that much. I wonder how much the actual labour costs are. How many people will be doing it? sorry to be nosey

Can I just add my two penneth..... Gas Pipe sizing is not as simple as just throwing down a load of 22mm pipe and then coming off it with a load of 15mm. There is an allowance of drop of 1mb between the meter outlet and the appliance inlet for it to work correctly. When pipe sizing an allowance always has to be made for any future expansion.
Please make sure that your installer/ instalation company are CORGI registered. And you can be quite sure that the necessary calculations have been done properly. Wrong pipe size can not only affect the performance of the appliance but can also affect the safety.
Good Luck with your condensing boiler. (It is a brave man that offers a 2 year guarantee on one at this stage of development)..Only joking !! (I think).

Stulew you beat me to it. I was going to say say the same thing. Must be a corridor with gas meter one end and boiler the other, with boiler fitted under the floor on its back!!

peter anderson said:

The costs of the parts, other than the boiler, doesn't look as though it would cost that much. I wonder how much the actual labour costs are. How many people will be doing it? sorry to be nosey
I agree, 1500+VAT for all other parts (TRV's, building material, 2y guarantee(!), etc.) + the work is not bad really. As I understood 2 people for ~2 days.

I know you can get cheaper condensing boilers, but getting 2 years guarantee is worth quite a bit I think!

stulew, DP, you're almost right! The gas meter is on the front of the house, and the boiler is going on the back. With a few bends on the pipe it ends up around ~15-20m.

Yep, definitely CORGI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back