size of interior steps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I may need to drop the existing living room floor by approx 40cm, and introduce some steps between the room entrance (doorway) and the finish floor level.

Is anyone able to tell me roughly how much space it would need for the smallest staircase (2 maybe 3 steps) in terms of footprint on the floor?

The steps would lead directly from the interior doorway into the room.

Sponsored Links
Under the regs the maximum rise is 220 and the minimum going is 220 subject to a maximum pitch of 42°, so you'll need a going of about 220 if you have two steps @200 high. No need for a handrail. So you'll need about a 440 intrusion into the room. Gottit?

Thanks - do i need to leave a "landing" area at the top where the door would be? or could i more or less open the door and step down?

Sponsored Links
No need for a landing, seeing as it's domestic the vast majority of anyone using the stair will be familiar with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back