Sizing a Water Softener

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

I am buying a water software for the house, thinking about a tapworks (as I have seen that recommended on this site). I have one question.

If a water softener has a 5/10 or 15 ltr capacity, what does that imply? If it means how much water is treated at one go, I seriously misunderstand how these things work. I thought that my mains water passed through the beads in the tank, Calcium was exchanged for salt, and my water pressure remained much the same. What does the size of the tank do here?

Thanks

Ray Kinsella

Sponsored Links
If you have x amount of resin you can soften y amount of water before regenerating.

The larger the amount of resin the longer the lenght of time between regenerations, if you're getting a softener get a metered one you'll probably save 50% of the salt and it will pay for itself eventually. Of buy a timed softener and get a valve online might be even cheaper. Clack are the rolls royce, fleck good, autotrol good too.

To size the softener you need to know the ppm of your supply you will be able to get this from the council of on mains or a group waster scheme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back