Skiing kit question - eyewear

I haven't heard good things about the brush ski runs. In particular that they hurt more than snow, not great for a beginner.
Beginners tend to be on the gentlest slopes, at low speeds, so falling on a thick doormat is probably not as bad as falling on a football field. They will learn not to fall over. Mittens and sturdy old clothes will take most of the damage.

Falling on hard packed snow or ice is worse.

Sponsored Links
Beginners tend to be on the gentlest slopes, at low speeds, so falling on a thick doormat is probably not as bad as falling on a football field. They will learn not to fall over. Mittens and sturdy old clothes will take most of the damage.

Falling on hard packed snow or ice is worse.
Freshly corrugated ice gets my vote, saw someone I didn't like much fall over on their first run of the day after failing to clip in properly whilst wearing a short sleeve top.

Shredded skin and blood on the ice. I got over it but always wear a long sleeve top.

Sports direct do goggles for about £20 up.

My standard go-to for sports gear is Decathlon and, being French, is more likely to be functional and value (as well as easy on the eye), rather than the chavvy end-of-line stuff that SD is full of.

Sports direct do goggles for about £20 up.
There is a step up in price for the polarized lenses, the same with sunglasses. The difference in visibility is stark, especially when on the snow. One lad had a pair from Aldi which we tried on. You had little or no definition. Awful ski goggles and belonged in the bin.

Sponsored Links
Never skied

My mother lives near (ish) to a couple of sking resorts

Stood on top of one of them ski jump wat sits and looked down ounce

Jeez us o_O

Sunglasses for looking cool at the pisteside cafe. Goggles for sun and wind protection when skiing. Decathlon's cheapest will be ok (devotees will bang on about bright sun lenses, then change for flat light lenses, then for this n that conditions.) Just get a decent pair and update if you stick with the sliing.

Last edited:
You didn't say where he's going exactly. Altitude makes a big difference to conditions. It depends how quickly he progresses but he won't be on the highest runs. Look at the layout of the pistes and assume perhaps one of the lower reds, at most. Probably greens and one blue, very unharsh.
I wouldn't bother with a helmet, you can't hear very well and he SHOULD be having lessons for a couple of days- you progress much faster. Skis don't tend to dump you as hard as snowboards, so risk is less.
Learning, cheapish goggles will be fine. It takes most people a couple of weeks to get out onto longer runs where undulations are hard to see in overcast conditions. But if he likes skiing he WILL be going again, it's addictive.
He won't be at 3800m in a blizzard this time. +1 to balaclava - flexible things.
Proper ski gloves are a big must, too many get hands hurt with other types. Salopettes (like a bib and brace - & goes up your back) I much prefer to trousers. You can wear a less bulky top, just unzip your jacket to cool off, and if you slide on your back they keep the snow out much much better.
Take plasters and ultra thick socks - hired boots may not fit well.

You didn't say where he's going exactly. Altitude makes a big difference to conditions. It depends how quickly he progresses but he won't be on the highest runs. Look at the layout of the pistes and assume perhaps one of the lower reds, at most. Probably greens and one blue, very unharsh.
I wouldn't bother with a helmet, you can't hear very well and he SHOULD be having lessons for a couple of days- you progress much faster. Skis don't tend to dump you as hard as snowboards, so risk is less.
Learning, cheapish goggles will be fine. It takes most people a couple of weeks to get out onto longer runs where undulations are hard to see in overcast conditions. But if he likes skiing he WILL be going again, it's addictive.
He won't be at 3800m in a blizzard this time. +1 to balaclava - flexible things.
Proper ski gloves are a big must, too many get hands hurt with other types. Salopettes (like a bib and brace - & goes up your back) I much prefer to trousers. You can wear a less bulky top, just unzip your jacket to cool off, and if you slide on your back they keep the snow out much much better.
Take plasters and ultra thick socks - hired boots may not fit well.
Morzine.

No point me looking at runs; never skied, so wouldn't have a clue.

Snood
Helmet
Goggles - polarised
Sunglasses - polarised
Strap thingy to hold sunglasses on

Everything else, he can fudging well sort out himself!

Sponsored Links
Back