Skim job - Am I justified in asking a plasterer to come back?

Will the re-skim be any better than the first skim?
The finish on the downstairs apart from a couple of minor sections is actually good. It's just the rush job on the upstairs, and ngl the mess. Kind of concerned the plaster isn't going to come out of the skirting and the composite front door

Attachments

• IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9931.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
You should not need to sand anything .. have a grizzle
Thought so... Also noticed some tiger stripes today on the finish which is wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_9939.jpeg
    IMG_9939.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
You should not need to sand anything .. have a grizzle

In my many years as a decorator, I have come across some extremely good plasterers. Even with their work, I expect a little bit of sanding.

I would not want to be the person employed to prep the OP's plaster.

Thought so... Also noticed some tiger stripes today on the finish which is wonderful.
That is crap plastering on the new photos. I assume you have paid them? I would phone them and complain again asking for a refund or for them to come and sort it to a good standard. Its unlikely to work but you never know.

That is crap plastering on the new photos. I assume you have paid them? I would phone them and complain again asking for a refund or for them to come and sort it to a good standard. Its unlikely to work but you never know.
Got them back out and they just sanded (with no dust bag) and left the place a state with my lungs taking most of it. Was coughing up **** for weeks.

The decorator has been around and it's honestly not the best, decorator didn't do much prep either which has left a pretty crap finish on a lot of it, especially at night or in harsh light.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 51
It seems that your decorator is as good as your plasterer...

It seems that your decorator is as good as your plasterer...
Ngl this has all taught me a lesson in using word-of-mouth recommendations, especially from family... And a lesson in just trying a lot of things myself from now on...

I know I can be a bit of a perfectionist but didn't think this was the finish of a professional decorator. Been on the tools must be 35+ years. Large parts are fine, but I'm going to have to just have to try and not look at the walls in a lot of places. Blamed the paint (LickPro), me, the plasterers etc.

I knew the prep wasn't as much as was needed but I did everything I could, told them in advance, said to come and please look at the job again now the plasterers have been etc. etc.

It's only the chippies who have been decent and they're the only people I found and vetted myself, and because I didn't know them they had the incentive of money to come back and rectify a couple of issues that were there.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 52
I have never used Lick paints, but I had a customer that recently did some DIY using Lick emulsion, and the walls were very patchy.

I cannot say if that was down to the paint or poor technique on his behalf.

--------edit-------- nah, your decorator is even worse than your plasterers.

Those photos are shocking.

The first two images are down to poor application of the paint. The last one is a failure to fill the gouges left by the plasterers.

The build of paint is not acceptable. I have seen better work done by first time DIYers.

Sorry, I don't know what to say. You were mugged off.

Your decorator has taken bad plastering and managed to make it look worse.

And don't get me started on the roller build up...

Last edited:
Its very difficult to vet plasterers. I picked one with great reviews etc. The finish is OK but far from perfect. Took me ages to sand down and fill! They plastered the vaulted ceiling after the walls were done. Doh.

I guess the best recommendation for a plasterer would probably come from a good decorator.

I have never used Lick paints, but I had a customer that recently did some DIY using Lick emulsion, and the walls were very patchy.

I cannot say if that was down to the paint or poor technique on his behalf.
Yeah, I read a few things about the standard Lick paint so I opted for the Pro version which they'd said they had used with no issues... If they'd pushed for a Dulux trade due to poor performance I would have gone that way. But the lack of prep and excess stipple and drip doesn't excuse that in the slightest...

Its very difficult to vet plasterers. I picked one with great reviews etc. The finish is OK but far from perfect. Took me ages to sand down and fill! They plastered the vaulted ceiling after the walls were done. Doh.

I guess the best recommendation for a plasterer would probably come from a good decorator.
I've had a recommendation from the chippies I used so when I eventually get the bedroom sorted next year I'll be giving them a go, and looking for a new decorator as well... (or doing it myself)

Last edited:
Yeah, I read a few things about the standard Lick paint so I opted for the Pro version which they'd said they had used with no issues... If they'd pushed for a Dulux trade due to poor performance I would have gone that way. But the lack of prep and excess stipple and drip doesn't excuse that in the slightest...

I have edited my post since you replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back