Skim/joint compound over lath and plaster walls which are wallpapered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a rental property, the house is from the 1920's, and the walls are not in good condition.

All walls have paper on but there are various sections where the plaster is blown. From a quick inspection the wall paper on one part of the hallway just pushed in and the plaster behind it had collapsed. I cut a small section away, just below the picture rail, which revealed the laths.

From looking upward into the hole the 1st coats of plaster are completely crumbled in some sections only being held together by the top white layer which seems good in most places, and the paper.

I planned to fill the hole and make that area good with filler, ideally I don't want to rip the whole wall down and start again or start patch plastering all the weak points if I can avoid it.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they skimmed joint compound over the wallpaper on such walls? Common sense sadly tells me it's a bad idea and I'll need remove the wallpaper then patch or even plasterboard some bad sections but I just wondered if anyone had had any success with a simpler method.

Thanks in advance

Tom

PS the landlord won't help, if the walls are standing that is enough for them..

Sponsored Links
filling over wallpaper isn’t a thing.
sounds like it all needs chopping off and boarding.
why are you worried about someone elses house if they’re not.

filling over wallpaper isn’t a thing.
sounds like it all needs chopping off and boarding.
why are you worried about someone elses house if they’re not.

Thanks for the reply and sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I've peeled the wall paper back around the hole enough to expose sound plaster so I can fill like you would any other hole in a wall.

I really initially wanted to just paint over the paper but after inspecting the walls for any issues I just found they were in a state. I saw a few things online where people rolled thin joint compound over wallpaper to get a better surface and just wondered if anyone had been in that/my situation.

I know it's rented but I'm gonna be here for the next 3 years and the decor is really terrible (that's why I'm bothered!)

Thanks again for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back