Skim or easi-fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got myself in a spot of bother.

I had an outside light fitted and as a result the cable went in the internal hallway wall which is wallpapered.

I decided to strip some of the wallpaper so whenI have the cable hole filled it would be nice and smooth.

I have taken the paper off but left with old yellow paint on the wall which is impossible to shift!

I want to pain the wall but need to get this sorted first.

Some people have suggested easifill and other skimming. Any suggestions from you guys please?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
fill the chase with one coat plaster, when it goes off you can sand it back a bit and then easy fill over the lot, inc the patchy paint and sand it all back smooth, this will hide the chase and fill the ship holes in the paint.

Sponsored Links
bond it out with thistle bonding, use a trowel to level it off, then shave 2 mm off so your 2mm short of surface level, then to finish use multi or easyfill (easyfill is the best for diyers) bonding is the best material to do chases with because it bonds better to the existing plaster and also it is best material to stick to the cables, i see u are not using capping so bonding is fine directly onto cable

Who did the wiring? Does the cable follow the "safe zones"?

safezones.jpg
[/quote]

You can’t just bury cable in the wall, it must follow clearly identifyable safe zones. Ruunning cables outside safe zones is extremely dangerous, breaches regulations unless enclosed within steel conduit &, depending on who did it, could be illegal.

You can’t just bury cable in the wall, it must follow clearly identifyable safe zones.

Funnily enough, after I posted last night & logged off, I wondered if it was
in a safe zone - I had planned to post later to ask.

Rich C on the ball as always :D

Its not the chase it's the wall I had this done by a qualified sparky.

The problem is the whole wall, it has paint on which I can't get off . To get the wall smooth shall ready to paint should I get it skimmed or should I try easifill? How good is easi-fill over a large surface area?

Thanks

Its not the chase it's the wall I had this done by a qualified sparky.
I appreciate that’s not what your question is about but if the cable route doesn’t fall within one of the safety zones in the diagram posted, it’s extreamly dangerous; people have died as a result of this sort of thing & is one reason why legistlation on DIY electrics is now so tight. I can’t tell from the photo if it’s the correct orientation, where the ceiling or any corners are or what’s at the other end of the cable chase but it doesn’t look right to me, installed by a qualified sparky or not. From reading one of your other threads, I have my doubts;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1576999#1576999
Just trying to keep you & any unsuspecting future owner safe. ;)
The problem is the whole wall, it has paint on which I can't get off . To get the wall smooth shall ready to paint should I get it skimmed or should I try easifill? How good is easi-fill over a large surface area?
With regard the wall; the link newbee99 posted just about sums up your options regarding the chase, depending if you want to just blend it in or skim the whole wall. If the latter, you can’t skim the whole wall with Easyfill; well you can I suppose but it would be rather pointless, a lot of work & probably not look very good anyway. If the wall is generally in poor condition, you’d do better to fill & tape the chase & then get it skimmed, your spread will prep. the existing paint as required.

Looking at the diagram it seems that the chase is withing the safety zone. One end is connected to a fuse spur and the other is on my outside light.

Thanks for your views on skimming

Looking at the diagram it seems that the chase is withing the safety zone. One end is connected to a fuse spur and the other is on my outside light.
Still not convinced; where is the spur box, how is anyone with a drill supposed to know in which direction the cable runs from the spur box? I may be wrong but from what I can see, the only “safe zone” in your case would be down the corner of the room or adjacent to the ceiling.

Fuse spur is under the stairs. Wires were wun underneath the floor boards.

How can a safety zone be the cornetr of the room?! thats exactly where it isn't meant to be.

Fuse spur is under the stairs. Wires were wun underneath the floor boards.
If you cant immediately see the fused spur box how can anyone have any indication or be aware there are cables buried in the wall :!:

How can a safety zone be the cornetr of the room?! thats exactly where it isn't meant to be.
Not sure how you work that one out :confused: Look at the safe zone diagram I posted again; first two cases the grey & green zones. ;)

If a proper electrician installed the outside light then you will have an electrical certificate for the work stating that the work complies with BS7671 and also the LABC should have been informed of the work and a certificate stating that the install was constructed in line with the requirments of Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back