Skim over acoustic tiles

Sponsored Links
I would fix 9.5mm (or 12.5) plasterboard over them and then skim.

This way you keep a bit of sound and heat insulation, but cover them up

I can't see anyway of plastering directly on to them but they should be covered up or removed in case of fire.

Totally agree with Micilin. Note you would have to find your joists. There is also an issue of damp staining near the alcove - if not already sorted i'd investigate that first.

Right, so plasterboard would need to be screwed into the joists and not simply glued to the acoustic tiles? The original ceiling and joists are about 40cm above, I don't know what these tiles are fixed to.

Is the issue with plastering directly on to them that it won't bond properly?

Sponsored Links
Oh, so you have a suspended ceiling?
1. remove the suspended ceiling and all fixings.
2. locate your joists, and mark them.
3. Screw p/b into marked joists. But first go up into the loft to determine that all is well above the bathroom.
4. Consider any new lighting options before re-decorating.

note: always remove poly tiles from wherever you find them. They are fire/smoke risks and often conceal damage.

It's definitely lowered, not sure about suspended as the tiles are securely fitted to something – they won't budge when you push up on them. I suspect there's sound proofing material in the void.

What I want to do is find a way to keep the acoustic ceiling intact (this is a ground floor maisonette so noise is an issue) but get a smooth finish, as I think the wavy patterned tiles look awful. Is this possible?

I must say OP, that at times it's like getting blood out of a stone, when the posted info. trickles in like this. I'd suggest that if there are any other variations, or details that might help us to help you, then perhaps you would describe them now.

Well OK, point taken. I appreciate your help, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but sometimes it's not obvious which variables are relevant to a query until you actually start discussing it. No need to come down so hard on me!

The only details I might add are that there isn't a problem with damp, the stain is an old one. The tiles are made of glass fibre and don't contain asbestos. They are painted with matt emulsion. I don't know how they are fixed, but they seem very solid. I can't screw into joists because the ceiling is lowered. I don't mind removing the coving but I don't want to touch the ceiling itself as it is functional. What are my remaining options in terms of getting a smooth finish?

I'm sorry, i was impatient. I apologise. AAMOI, i've now looked at the pic more carefully, and notice what i should have seen immediately: that the ceiling is lowered.

You cannot skim over the tiles. However, you can probably fix p/b thro the tiles to whatever backing the tiles are fixed to and then skim the board.

Whatever you do, you must first do some destructive investigation, and open up the ceiling to determine how it's constructed. You must have something, and know it's location, to screw into it.

New cove or trim can be fixed later.

Soundproofing, esp retro soundproofing is a complex issue. Perhaps the 400mm cavity is the best soundproofing available to you without opening up the ceiling.

Thanks for your advice. So my next step is to remove one of the tiles and see what's going on above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back