Skimcoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would welcome some advice.
I have just had a room, ceiling and walls skimcoated over newly fitted plasterboards. I intend to paint same and to tell the truth am confused at the different suggestions I have heard.
Some suggest simply Polybonding prior to painting while others say this is a very bad idea as Polybond will not let the paint breathe ??? and suggest using a 5 parts matt emulsion to 1 part water mix as a primer followed by a coat of the desired paint. Others say the paint / water mix should be 50/50, a mist coat then the paint.
Others suggest sanding the skimcoat.
I was thinking of waiting until the skimcoat appears to have dried fully then waiting a further 4 days ( to allow for the bits that may be only surface dry before painting. Would this be enough time.

hitbit

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wait about a week before painting. Dont sand the bare walls first.
DO NOT apply any PVA to the walls as this will make the emulsion peel off afterwards. Give a first mist coat to the bare plaster of about 50/50 paint water. This is just to stop the walls sucking any moisture out of the paint and will seal it.
Rub the walls down after the mist coat and do any filling that you may see. Apply further coats of chosen finish, matt, softsheen or silk. Thin these slightly about 80/20 paint water. Use a good quality deep pile roller and a good brush to cut in the corners.

Hi Robie UK

You say use a deep pile roller, will this cause a roller stipple? If not, what are the short haired pile roller used for? I thought for flat walls?

Also, reading previous posts I see people have said same as you for painting new plaster, but they go 2 x full emulsion after the mist coat (you say 80/20).

Not saying you're wrong, I just need to check when I see posts contradict each other.

Best regards.

A deep pile roller will put more paint on the wall. If it is thinned down slightly it stops the roller pulling it up and gives it chance to settle down and end up smoother. Some paint can be thin when its opened and may not need thinning. More thin coats are better then less thick coats.

Sponsored Links
A deep pile roller will put more paint on the wall. If it is thinned down slightly it stops the roller pulling it up and gives it chance to settle down and end up smoother. Some paint can be thin when its opened and may not need thinning. More thin coats are better then less thick coats.

Good reply Rob. ;)

I like short pile rollers and thinned down paint. No roller stipple - guaranteed.

Okay, it looks like it's better to thin the paint, I will try the short haired and long haired pile and see how I get on.

Many thanks.

Hi,
I skimmed out the attic rooms for a local guest house last year, they did the decorating themselves and used a thin wallpaper paste to prime the new plaster, never heard of it before but tried it myself and found that the walls were almost covered in just one coat, and no messing about thinning paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back