Skimming a ceiling - After laying floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having hardwood floors layed at the weekend but in my dining room the ceiling is covered in textured wallpaper. Is it a really bad idea to lay the floor and then have the ceiling skimmed or will i be OK? Ideally i will have it done before hand but the quote of £300 to skim a ceiling seems a lot to me so i was thinking of shopping around as the room is only a 4x4 square.

thanks

Sponsored Links
We`ll drive up from Sussex for that price ;) :LOL: but not keen on the ceiling being lined with textured paper :cry: maybe it should be over boarded first :?:

We had this scenario, but had the ceiling replaced boards n all after our wood floor was laid. We had the floor heavily protected with plastic sheet and covered over with hardboard. All skirting boards, doors and door frames similary protected. Make sure that the paster is mixed outdoors, otherwise you will never get rid of the powder dust.

I couldn't recommend skimming over paper so I trust the price is to reboard or possibly strip existing paper before plastering
if not then it dose seam steep but then again it depends on how far they are traveling and if he/they have other work in your area they can do on the same day. if they have and the price is to skim only then £200 nearer the mark.
I would definatley have plastering done before flooring you can protect but a little tear a little splash and your hardwood will be stained forever.
what you save on protective materials you can use to persuade a top trowel to fit you in sooner.

Sponsored Links
let us know if you find a top trowel in London for less£...

someone is coming in this week to do it and they are doing it for £200. I may be mistaken and think the paper is in fact artex what do you think ?

http://www.ng23.net/image067.jpg

if its artex he says he can go over the top - if its paper then it will be another few ££ to strip it first apparently

That`s definitely paper :cry: ...does the price include the stair.......or just the flat ceiling?.........as mark said I would definitely board over .....there could be anything under that paper :eek: .....and you aint gonna get a board fix and skim for £200.........not even here in the stix :LOL:Whats wrong with it as it is ..........I`d give the guy a drink and say sorry for the time .......and leave it

whats wrong with it ? .... it looks bloomin' awful thats whats wrong with it. Well i guess i find out tomorrow if its paper or artex but either way its coming off/going over

If the whole lot is boarded over without dropping the old ceiling, the new board will be proud of that nice wood at the stairwell side. What's the best way of finishing off here? (without use of wrecking bar) And chewymix, get your spread to fill the gap over the door that the other spread missed. :LOL:

looks good to me . I`ve used it as a wallpaper on my computer ;)

For the price of what you’re going to be charged for removing the paper, buy a steam wallpaper stripper from Wickes or somewhere. Just remember to tip the ‘plate’ away from you when taking away from the ceiling.

Take the paper off, see what the existing ceiling is like – if OK, get a decorator to line and emulsion.

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back