Skimming a ceiling up to existing cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently chopped off the coving in my kitchen ready to have the ceiling skimmed it took me ages to make good the walls with Easyfill!!
I now have a large lounge ceiling that needs skimming to cover the artex where the tape is now coming away from the joints.
Is it reasonable to ask a plasterer to skim up to existing plaster cornice and are there any issues doing so? For example the cornice leave a very square tight edge with right angle corners and there is no room to blend the skim into the walls.
Alternatively should I chop the coving off, get the ceiling skimmed and then replace the coving again which will cover any marks in the wall if I'm careful taking it off.
Any advice appreciated.

Fozzie
PS its the Gyproc shaped cornice not the normal scotia shaped coving

Sponsored Links
why not post pics of a wall and a couple of corners?

Thanks Bobasd . I would have thought you plasterers would have seen loads of ceiling cornice :D but here goes. Starting with the reason why the ceiling needs to be skimmed ie artex tape coming away. Pictures below are just shots of the existing cornice. Its a big ceiling and probably needs two spreads to work on it together but I was really trying to establish if it was reasonablew to expect a plasterer to skim up tight to the coving and make good all the corners without leaving holes/gaps to fill. I put the cornice up and spent hours getting the mitres tight and joints in straight runs so they were not visible.
Thanks Fozzie
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG

Sponsored Links
i'm not a plasterer although i've done plenty of plastering.
pics help because there are lots of different dimensioned cornices and coves.

you have a problem with what looks like peeling aertex?
you could try and remove all the aertex and then skim,
or plasterboard over it, and then skim the board.
if you attempt to skim the failing aertex then you could have both failing and sagging down.
boarding over will end up giving you a lip where the board meets the cornice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back