skimming affected area of ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to get the second phase of repairs done in my house and house and some clarification.

My lath and plaster ceiling suffered water damage. Parts of the ceiling have detached and repaired.

I have spoken to a professional coming round to do the job on Tuesday and the pro has suggested skimming the affected area, filling with caulk and then painting the 'local area' of the ceiling. I also have cracks in the cornices which he suggested filling and painting.

Now my ceiling has wallpaper on it and he has not mentioned re papering that part. He also suggested skimming the affected part of the ceiling and drying that part with a hair dryer to accelerate drying. What are your thoughts on this practice and his idea?[/img][URL=http://s145.photobucket.com/us...albums/r210/irfan_mohammed/DSC_0077.jpg[/img]

[/url]

[URL=http://s145.photobucket.com/us...albums/r210/irfan_mohammed/DSC_0076.jpg[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
take them down (very messy) or board over. A patch up may be the cleanest option though maybe not the best

Dont take anything down - there's nothing there to suggest such radical action. There's hardly any damage & no sagging to be seen. Preserve that wonderful ceiling and cornice as others have preserved it for you. For a 100 (?) year old ceiling, its in terrific condition.

That damp will dry up in a few days leaving no lasting damage.

You only appear to have a couple of minor defects - why not wait a week or so and then post further pics back here?

However, if you want to go to a lot of unnecessary trouble, here's what to do:

Strip the ceiling paper first. Then remove any loose plaster (i cant see any in the pics?) - dont go overboard. Then drill pilot holes into the laths, and screw up individual laths to the ceiling joists. PVA the patch/crack & possibly the whole ceiling and skim.

Any large cracks in the cornice could be filled and smoothed with a caulk. The crack in the pic is a hairline crack so leave it for the next painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back