Skimming help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hallway where the ceiling and walls were covered in that sand textured paint. I have scraped most of it off and well I got a little carried away with the scraping. I have a very old and not great looking wall. I think it is back to plaster as it is all Gray except for some patches of the old sand paint with the sand off (it won't budge) Anyway I am thinking of doing a very light skim to cover my over excitement with the scraper and some of the hair line cracks that I can see etc.

So I wanted to know if this plan is any good?
Hoover and wash the walls
apply pva leave for 24 hours
apply another layer of pva wait for it to go tacky then apply Wickes ready mixed plaster skim. wait for that to dry then mist coat it with emulsion. Then paint.

Is this a good plan?

Also what tools will I need I know about the trowel and rollers/brush/drill mixer etc but what else would I need?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Unless you are a plasterer it will look like sch1t. But then, if you were a plasterer you wouldn't be asking!

Can't you fill the patches with a fine pwdered filler, rub down, then prime and paint?

I would use joint filler which is what they use fro dry lining a ten kilo dag is about £10. I fill slightly proud wait an hour and then shave it flat. When it dries out it is really easy to rub down and you get a really smooth finish. I done it a lot for clients who dont want to pay for a plasterer and have pretty good results though I advise lining after.

Joe

Big patches use a caulking tool, smaller ones something like a credit card. Just before completely dry a gentle rub with a damp sponge

Sponsored Links
Toupret fillers are pretty good for skimming.

I used to recommend tx130 but it doesn't seem to be available, but recently came across this :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C110lyXaXU0&feature=share&list=UUV_kHj2_ADdWZF9a9GcQUPQ

I have no idea how much it is and TBH i'm not normally one for these 'FAD" systems but i' think toupret are a really good professional company with excellent products so could be worth having a good look at

Go for joebergs advise on this one. Skimming isn't as easy as it seems and for a start do you have a trowel that has been broken in

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Ready mixed plaster isn't like real plaster - it is like a filler. Don't see any reason why a DIYer can't use it. As for the trowel, just give it a sand with a sander - or even by hand until it's smooth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back