Skimming task - quickest order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a small wall to skim, but not completely flat with the concrete lintel.
The lintel is covered in Bonding.
See pic.

I'm thinking the reveal/lintel in the middle may be the easiest to start, so the outer wall and inner wall can then be done on the same mix.
I'm wondering if it's worth risking a wet internal corner for the reveal/lintel or do over two mixes?

Wondering how the pros would tackle a little job like this?

Hope the description makes sense!

Sponsored Links
With that, you could do it all in one. Do the inner wall and outer wall first, 2 coats, then put on the lintel and reveal, (2 coats). This is where "a twitcher" comes in. Once the two walls have been double coated, you can use the twitcher to run out the angles along the soffit and reveal. The width of the twitcher wont be far off the width of that reveal/s anway, so put some plaster on the twitcher and spread it/run it along the soffit/reveal then use a trowel to spread it out to the edge bead. It can all be done in one hit, but if you're not quite ready for it, do the walls with one mix, then the soffit/reveals. When you plaster a wet to wet internal corner/s, a small 1" paint brush which can be formed to a "fine point" is also very handy in fine tuning down a wet angle in conjunction with the twitcher. Don't forget, you'll also have 2 wet to wet internal corners where the reveals meet the soffit. ;)

This is where "a twitcher" comes in. Once the two walls have been double coated, you can use the twitcher to run out the angles

Hi roughcaster.
Thanks for the clear reply, can follow :D
I have a question on twitchers.
I got one a long time ago but it has remained largely unused!
It's a ragni one, and the angle is wider than 90 degs.

I'm concerned that if I use this for a wet internal join, when I press into the corner, the wings will make a mess of each wet side.

Is this what all twitchers are like, or is this one just not a good design and I should look at a different one?

I use a Refina twitcher. It's a different angle tool to the one you have. I've had a look and i don't think you get them any more. They seem to be more ir less the same tool that you have, although Marshaltown do a slightly different internal/external angle tool. The twitcher i have has a blue handle, a bottom and 2 sides. The two sides (wings), are rigid. Each "wing"is less than an inch high. When i use it, it doesn't really dig in and mark the wall down the internal corner. By slightly twisting the angle of the twitcher, you can make it "glide" down the corner. Very difficult to explain really. Tyzack used to make them too, but they seem to be all like the one you have. I'll see if i can put up a pic of my twitcher to let you see it. I prefer this type to the ones you get nowadays. They're smaller, and don't dig in the same as the ones with the wider flexible wings. The one i have is rigid and made of stainless steel. I use it every day. I'll see about posting a pic.

Sponsored Links
I've seen similar ones to them in B&Q. The only thing about using Gypsum plasters with many of these tools, is that they'll rust if they're not stainless steel. I bought a Marshaltown 6" scraper a few weeks ago, ( around £10), , and it started rusting right away. Absolute rubbish with Gypsum plaster. I'll never buy another one of theirs that's for sure.

This is where "a twitcher" comes in. Once the two walls have been double coated, you can use the twitcher to run out the angles

Hi roughcaster.
Thanks for the clear reply, can follow :D
I have a question on twitchers.
I got one a long time ago but it has remained largely unused!
It's a ragni one, and the angle is wider than 90 degs.

I'm concerned that if I use this for a wet internal join, when I press into the corner, the wings will make a mess of each wet side.

Is this what all twitchers are like, or is this one just not a good design and I should look at a different one?
the twitcher u have here is fine the blades are springy and when you push it into the corner they close in you could round the edges of with a pair of tinsnips though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back