skimming technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'd like to start improving my plastering technique to increase speed and reduce the 'fiddle' factor over tidying where I've been before!

The diag below helps describe roughly how I tackle a wall - but I think there is much room for improvement.

I'm left handed and prefer to work from top to bottom (as start with a hop-up and I'd rather have more freedom at the end of the mix as I'm at the bottom).

From this, I'd start in top right corner and then work along the top edge filling out area 1.
Then pop over to right hand edge of area 2 and follow across again working right to left.
Then same for area 3 as a reverse of the top with area 1.

The arrows kind of show initial direction - I try to work smooth on an arc motion.

A couple of main difficulties I find:
When I'm in the middle part of area 2 and away from the sides, it usally gets a bit difficult. I find it difficult to avoid uneven coverage, due to starting away from an edge. And esp also on second coat, it also becomes harder to see where you've been.

I've seen some spreads on videos etc applying the plaster, then flipping the trowel onto it's other edge and going back over the same bit as the 'out stroke'.
I don't do this as I invariably get my trowel too flat and stuck! So I tend to just go in one direction, but I do yhen leave quite a lot of plaster on the trowel still.
:confused:

Any tips appreciated to improve!

Sponsored Links
im afraid mate the art of rolling the trowel thats what i call it will come with time it all in your muscel memory and technique, you could try and learn it on bonding because it wont really matter if you get your trowel stuck then.
also i too am a left hooker and i dont work to disimilar to you the only bit i leave out is the "2" section i tend to work from the top at the right hand corner comeing down and accross the wall then off the up down the right hand side to the floor, and then i do long upwards arcs from the floor to meet the top right the way accross.
although once i have got about 3 quaters accross te bottom of the wall i tend to swap hands then come down the left hand edge and then back to the long arcs but the other way round.
sorry if thats not much help but i do find it alot quicker doin section 2 and 3 together just means you need to be confident with alot of gear on your trowel and fairly good at spreading it evenly with alot on your trowel.
let us know how you get on mate.
JRP

im afraid mate the art of rolling the trowel thats what i call it will come with time it all in your muscel memory and technique, you could try and learn it on bonding because it wont really matter if you get your trowel stuck then.
also i too am a left hooker and i dont work to disimilar to you the only bit i leave out is the "2" section i tend to work from the top at the right hand corner comeing down and accross the wall then off the up down the right hand side to the floor, and then i do long upwards arcs from the floor to meet the top right the way accross.
although once i have got about 3 quaters accross te bottom of the wall i tend to swap hands then come down the left hand edge and then back to the long arcs but the other way round.
sorry if thats not much help but i do find it alot quicker doin section 2 and 3 together just means you need to be confident with alot of gear on your trowel and fairly good at spreading it evenly with alot on your trowel.
let us know how you get on mate.
JRP

Thanks - there's loads of good stuff in there to think about on the next task. Followed it fine. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back