Skimming timings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this cant be exact but just trying to get an idea of my time frame for doing an 8 x 3 foot wall. Only ever skimmed once before a few years back.
Once the first coat has been applied roughly how long have I got before the second (final) coat is/can be applied.
I am thinking that in between coats I need to clean my tools and remix a new batch, so dont want to get caught short.

Sponsored Links
I know this cant be exact but just trying to get an idea of my time frame for doing an 8 x 3 foot wall. Only ever skimmed once before a few years back.
Once the first coat has been applied roughly how long have I got before the second (final) coat is/can be applied.
I am thinking that in between coats I need to clean my tools and remix a new batch, so dont want to get caught short.

As AR.

Would also add - at only 8 x 3 I'm sure you will be fine for time.
First coat, quick flatten, clean tools with a water bucket/brush and then mix second batch and straight on.

When doing anything above a small area, I always use a spot board and have bucket of water and brush standing by to wet down spot board and keep hawk & trowel clean in between uses.
Doesn't take 2 mins to clean them after use.
Would also recommend after each mix is done, straight on wetted spot board and wash out your bucket before you start. Cleaning a bucket after it's started to set is a pain in the ar*e!

OK to confirm.
I apply 1st coat
I clean tools and mix 2nd coat.
and apply 2nd coat straight away.

thanks

Sponsored Links

you are correct in thinking you need to have another mix. Your second coat should be a fresh mix, this way you have two setting times that is less work for you. You have time for a cuppa before you put on the second coat but make sure the first is flat before you lay it down.

Done the skimming today, much better result than my previous attempt a few years back, a few bits I will need to fill in as I never noticed them when flattening I obviously need to watch the lighting next time as it was only when I shone a torch along the wall as opposed to the lighting hitting the wall that I noticed them and that was well after the job was done.

Along the edge wall to ceiling I found a bit awkward and also behind an oven hood fitting as I only had about 9 inches of space.

Apart from that I am not disappointed but wouldnt dare let one of you guys see it :)

And thanks again for your help.

Thanks for getting back to us juco, glad it turned out well for you. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back