Skimming walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Getting round to deciding what to do with the walls now that the dreaded lining paper is off. The walls are gouged and have been abused by someone who had a heavy picture fetish!! Seems like instead of normal picture hooks they decided to use rawplugs!!

I'm thinking of getting the entire house skimmed but would this mean I would have to remove the coving, skirting and architraves?? Or can it be done without? Coving is normal B&Q coving and skirting/architrave is the rounded over type.

Thanks

FK

Sponsored Links
Nice name :p

You can get the rawlplugs out if you screw in a say a 2" screw just over fingure tight, and then use a pair of pincers to draw the plug out. It will leave a hole, but these can be filled with a normal filler.
If however you are having the rest of the house skimmed, maybe that's the way to go. Reskimming involves two coats of 2mm plaster, and any proficient plasterer could redo the walls retaing your joinery and coving.
If it was my call, I'd go for the reskim....
Hope that helps.

Alternativley push the plugs in further and then fill the, as it is likely to cause less damage then pulling them out if tour existing plaster is dodgy.

Sponsored Links
Just to be finicky its a three mill skim.....Hey thats a whole full millimetre here!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back