Skimming with a roller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I have just finishing stripping a couple of rooms and contemplating skimming the ceilings. I know most people leave it to the experts and I may just do that, but I thought I would have a look around the net to see if there are any new products that make the job easier for the 'novice'. Anyway I came on this link http://www.i-boards.com/bnp/wc/messages.asp?MsgID=12083&ThreadID=1602 and it made me wonder if what I was reading can be correct.

Has anyone ever tried putting a skim on with a roller and then smoothing off like these guys are talking about.

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm, well... have thought about this (not an expert).

Artex is usually brushed on and then rollered (if going for that particular effect, anyway!). So, plaster of a similar consistency could be applied in such a way.

I am not sure a roller would let you lay enough plaster on the wall to give a decent skim though. Perhaps you should experiment, a cheapo paint roller is only a couple of quid so try it with an unused piece of plasterboard and let us know what happens!

It is interesting that the forum you linked to had a mention of spraying on plaster: 2 years ago my dad mentioned this to me so I tried to hire a plaster sprayer from every tool shop I could find in the Yellow Pages. No luck. It seems they are used in big construction projects but not in smaller ones over here.

When plastering as a novice (as I have tried twice) is a bit hit and miss. First load I did a year back came out great. Then I tried to do a bathroom ceiling a month or two back. Not good. The thing is you might find yourself flattening and patching little bits of it for the next week to get a decent finish. A plasterer will (should :D ) put a perfect finish on in a couple of hours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back