Painting freshly skimmed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have had the living room ceiling skimmed after it was lowered to add led lights. I have few questions:
1- what paint shall I use to apply the mist coat?
2- what ratio is recommended?
3- what roller shall I use for a smooth flat finish?

Sponsored Links
I normally use a cheap trade white Matt emulsion to mist coat. I prefer to use a 60/40 mix with water (40 water) but you'll get varying mix ratio's if you ask different people.

I use a medium pile Harris roller.

It'll splatter a lot so cover anything you want protected

I plaster and paint my own work.
I used acrylic primer undercoat either white or tint.
Then durable emulsions go over a treat vs contract emulsion which has no sealing quality and durable emulsion don't like it.

Skillbulder on youtube visited leyland technical where they explain about emulsions. Go look.

They also talk about mist coating plaster.

It's all easy enough to explain but I'm not going to stand and type it all out, but whatever you decide to use as top coat read the application data sheet online for how to apply to plaster.
Some emulsions with say seal / prime dry surfaces or builders emulsion ( that's contract paint) with a primer coat (that's acrylic primer or other) or it may say thin the paint ( what you have decided to use) with water over dry surfaces or builders paint. So you can end up mist coating the the contract matt.

As per Wayners' post, I don't see the point of using contract matt paints as a mist coat, they do very little for the level of suction.

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks.. I have a tin of Leyland Acrylic Primer undercoat so I will use that and then paint the normal emulsion.. job a good one..

Just need to get a good roller yo achieve a smooth finish

Hamilton Green or Pro Dec ice fusion roller although they never wash out well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back