Skimmming over glue spots from polystyrene tiles on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anything special I should be doing before just skimming the ceiling ? Luckily they were a bit tight with the glue so the old blobs left behind aren't thick so I guess there's no need for me to try and get all the glue off before skimming. Is it just a case of pva and a coupe of coats of plaster ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
MrTeeny,
PVA and then plaster,just as you said.... I did a kitchen ceiling not long ago where they WEREN'T tight with the glue. I scraped off the loose bits,(nothing too fussy) gave the ceiling a coat of neat pva with a roller as I went, and plastered straight onto it while it was tacky. I use bonding-coat plaster first when skimming and then multi-finish. With bonding plaster,you can put on thicker coat to cover any bad areas,and you also get a better surface to finish on,a bit more work, but each to his own. Just have a good look at your ceiling first before you do anything, just to see if there are any cracks that need to be taped over,or bad/loose areas of plaster. These tiles were often used to cover up cracks/faults, maybe not always,but still worth a good look.

Roughcaster.

It may depend on the type of adhesive; I had a bit of a problem where someone had stuck foil on the wall behind a radiator. I removed all the foil but couldn’t get all the adhesive off (it was a contact type); PVA’d as normal but the skim kept bubbling where the bits of adhesive were & took ages to go off, probably because it was impervious to water. I was just using straight Multifinish though & managed to finish it off OK in the end but it was a bit of fiddling; wouldn’t like to have had the same problem with the whole wall, let alone a ceiling!

Sponsored Links
Thanks all , I considered using bonding as I've done that before with a ceiling that was covered with textured paint to level it out. To be honest I found the bonding more of a pain than skimming as it goes on thicker and not being a pro it's a real hassle to bond the ceiling.

The ceilings in good nick as it'd been plasterboarded over the old lathe/plater and whoever did it had done good job, no cracking of joints etd, only for someone else to come along and glue tiles over it :( I guess it must have been fashionable at one time to risk sticking plastic tiles in a kitchen.

I'll see if I can scrape the old glue off as best as possible and just pva + skim as I'm fine skimming onto a flat surface and luckily the kitchen isn't that big. Thought there may have ben some magic way of removing the glue spots :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back