skirting angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best tool/method of working out angles in an odd shaped room for cutting and fitting skirting board,such as around a bay window
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The Trend Angle Fix allows you to transfer the angle directly to a mitre saw (hand or powered) without the need to measure actual angles (the small metal guide in the middle bisects the angle to give you the mitre angle at the saw - just align the blade to it). All I can say they're relatively cheap and they work

Scrit

anglefix.jpg

A useful tool above, I find the easiest is to use a flat ruler against the wall and draw a parallel line on the floor and the same on the other side then draw a straight line from the corner point of the wall to the point of the 2 line you have drawn then use a sliding bevel for your angle.

forgot to mention im using 7 inch skirting which may create a problem when using this tool and trying to cut in the mitre saw

You can buy a higher depth mitre saw block, cost a lot more though and depends if it's worth it on how many cuts you need it for.
NOBEX180_xl.jpg

A cheaper option would be to buy a new sharp fine teeth hand saw, I find a Stanley Jet Cut handsaw is very good. Buy yourself a sliding bevel and a good handsaw with a bit of practice on scrap of wood and see how it goes. The important bit is to let the handsaw do the cutting and not your elbow otherwise the cut will go off line. It's easy when you know how!
TB24650.jpg

Ok this is easy. Place a piece of timber for example a 3x1 with the 3 inch along the floor and the back edge against the wall. Then draw a pencil line along the floor. Turn the 3x1 against the other piece of wall and draw another line so that bisects the 1st line.Draw a line from the angle on the wall to the point at which your 2 lines cross. Now take a sliding bevel and set the angle from the back wall where the joint will be to the bisected line at the front. The wider your joint .ie 4 inch the more accurate. I'm a carpenter and its the only accurate way. Sorry just realised someone has given you this method.

thanks,i used this method but with the sliding bevel which worked ok,some of the mitres are not perfect,but i have dry lined walls that were skimmed beforehand,im painting so a little bit of filler wont hurt
is it better to use a caulk in the gaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back