Skirting Board and Wall Repair Wall Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Can anyone firstly advise what type of plaster is best to use to to fix these patches of wall which have been damaged when removing my skirting?

NGINoQt.jpg

TPFSqw0.jpg

And secondly what is the best way to secure the new skirting once flooring is complete? The nails that were used originally seem pretty old school.

9BktgTU.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it looks to me like they were originally done with a sand and cement render, then a skim of hard finish plaster on top.

Some parts of the country traditionally do it like that. I find it very easy, as the S&C has a long working time, if you are an amateur and take time to get it smooth and flat. To improve strength you can mist it with water the next day (the longer it stays wet, the stronger it grows),

it's possible that it clings to the wall better if you are chasing it. Not sure. I find it easier for filling chases round oval conduit and for filling in round electrical backboxes. You can press it in hard.

As for the skirting, you can screw it to the wall. Put plasplugs in the holes in the wall first. Use countersunk screws and a dab of filler will hide the heads when you are redecorating. There is a superior method but it is more work, especially if you are not doing the whole room. Some people use glue.

Last edited:
the floorin is r/s boards an the wall is rendered - so looks like a damp an timber job was done not long ago.
check the joist were renewed or protected because the wall is probly damp?

no angle bead on lower part of that open corner - use plastic bead for remedial work.

photo 2 shows what looks like
gypsum skim on the render at a renewed(?) corner - not good practice.

is that a solid wal - is the outside rendered?

the cut nail is for floorin or driven through skirtin into a wooden "plug".
these plugs rot out in damp walls an if not totalyremoved can create rottin conditions.

Given the depth of the plaster i need to apply on the corner, what product should I go with? Anything ready mixed you recommend?

Sponsored Links
go into a plumbing supplies or blds mechts ask for a s&c repair bag for patching render.
apply it in two coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back