Skirting board caulk for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start painting and have noticed some cracks between the skirting and the wall where the house has dried out over the last 18 months (new build). In the worst spots should I just scrap away the blistered paint and loose caulk and refil and for the areas where there are just cracks just refill? Basic I know but advice would be appreciated along with details on the right caulk to use.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9502.JPG
    IMG_9502.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_9503.JPG
    IMG_9503.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
My preferred caulk is Everbuild 125. They used it sell it at Toolstation for about 90p but dropped it favour of another Everbuild caulk which is more expensive and inferior.

Cracking where the stair strings meet the wall is common. I would use a MS polymer rather than caulk though. The MS polymer remains as flexible as silicone. Caulk may end up cracking again.

A MS polymer will cost between 5 and 11 quid. Look for SikaFlex, CT1, Stixall, Everbuild Puraflex 40, etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks opps is an MS polymer paintable without the need to undercoat?

MS polymers will accept water based paints without any issue. If you were to, for example, apply an oil based paint first (without a WB paint first), it would take months to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back