Skirting board on tiled bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Only the walls are going to be tiled, the floor will be covered with some kind of Vinyl flooring.

Originally I was just going to stick some skirting board on top of the bottom row of tiles when I've completed the tiling. However, having just added new architrave to the bathroom door frame, it's dawned on me that idea will look ridiculous, because the skirting boards would be far too proud of the architrave. Here is a mocked up picture using a piece of old skirting board I had lying around to show what I'm talking about.

full

Also, if I was to use this type of skirting board (which is the same skirting boards used in the rest of the house) underneath the bottom row of tiles so it's flush with the architrave, the tiles would end up being very proud (something like 6 to 8 mm) because of the a tapered profile on the skirting boards. Here is another mocked up picture to hopefully show what I'm talking about.

full

I'm tempted not to bother with any skirting boards at all, but surely something will be needed where the Vinyl flooring ends and the wall tiles start ?

What would you guys do ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
are you laying the vinyl?
if you getting peeps in then they can do an upturn,with a tile to vinyl trim?

are you laying the vinyl?
if you getting peeps in then they can do an upturn,with a tile to vinyl trim?

Thanks for your reply. Yes we were planning on getting some pros in to lay the vinyl flooring.

I've just googled "tile to vinyl trim" (because I've never heard of it before) it looks very interesting to be honest, but I'm struggling to work out the order of the jobs involved.

Originally I was simply going to do the tiling, fit the pedestal sink and the toilet and then get the flooring fitted.

To go with that trim solution. I'm guessing I would do my tiling apart from the bottom row, they would then come in and fit the trim, they would then leave. I would then do the bottom row of tiles and install the pedestal sink and toilet. They would then return to fit the flooring. Is that correct, or can they do it all in one visit?

Last edited:
Professionals know exactly where they fit into the work schedule - eg who come first and who's next etc.

Floors like yours are done in one visit.

If professionals are involved then they must be responsible for selecting and fitting the the underlayment.

The vinyl laying method referred to is "Flash Coving" and needs an experienced floor layer - outside corners can be tricky.

As for the skirting option: theres all kinds of profiles available eg. pencil round.

Tile is often taken to FFL.

Sponsored Links
1. baton the wall at the height about half an inch below where you want the tiles to start.
2. Spread enough adhesive and bed the trim and the first row of tiles.
3. Leave the baton in place until the adhesive has set and the trim is help in place.
4. Measure out the vinyl so that it is long enough to cover the floor and run up the wall to be cloaked by the fascia of the trim.

I'm a tiler but not a vinyl fitter. 9 times out of 10 its the tiles laid first, then the flooring cut to suit. On the odd occasion the vinyl has been done first, it make the setting out of the tiles more awkward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back