Skirting Board - quality and cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to press the button on buying a load of skirting board to do an entire house. I'm always a bit cheeky and I take the time to write to companies to see if I can get a better price than what they put on their website - usually I can, you just have to ask nicely.

At the moment, I have 2 companies offering me the same amount of MDF skirting board - one company has come in at £301 and the other at £424. This is for 18mm thick, 170mm high stuff, in a variety of 4200mm and 3050mm lengths, primed.

Both of them have discounted the boards and the delivery. I very much appreciate this from them both (I'll not provide names as it might be against forum rules).

I asked the higher priced company why the huge difference? They said they offer free samples, they use the best moisture resistant grade of MDF on the market, they de-nib each board, they hand-spray each board and then rub it down by hand - adding that most suppliers do not do this.

As is the case in life (mostly) you do get what you pay for - I absolutely understand that - but I had originally thought skirting would be much-of-a-muchness and it would all come down to the keenest price.

Are the comments I received above fair? Would this kind of stuff imply a great product rather than a mediocre one that I might not be happy with in the end (or may need to do more work with, if it's rough etc.)?

Sponsored Links
I have one sample, yes. But that's the point of my question - to avoid getting another in - are they all much-of-a-muchness or do folks think they'll be scaggy if they're cheaper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back