Skirting boards and interior doors if floor is lowered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Novice DIYer here. We'd like to remove the laminate flooring in our hallway to reveal the original floorboards underneath. Obviously this will make the floor lower, as the laminate + chipboard was about 8mm deep.

Please can someone advise what we'd do to the skirting board? Remove and replace or remove and reattach?

I'm also a bit worried that the doors leading from the hallway will be too short if we lower the floor, unless there's a quick fix way to alleviate any gaps.

I'm trying to work out if the consequences of removing the laminate are more hassle than keeping the ugly laminate itself!

:cry:

Sponsored Links
You could add a beading to the base of the skirting to avoid removal. Wait till you have stripped the floor boards first assuming they are good enough? Doors should sit over threshold strips which can be replaced with suitable new thresholds.

I would say that the skirting was the least of your worries as the good man before me said you could always cover with quadrant/beading.
Your architrave will be too short and you'll never fill that gap very well plus your door frames will have been cut back to a certain extent leaving a gap when you remove the floor too (they will be easier to fill mind).
If you replace the laminate you should be able to save the skirting but will have to take it off in most areas to get the new laminate back down. Doing that will in turn probably take some of the plaster meaning at the very least some decorating if not the whole room.
From the pictures the laminate doesn't look too bad whereas the floor underneath may be horrific or nice so its a gamble ripping it up really.

sorry just letting you know the worst case scenario!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back