Skirting Knots - repairing chips and bubbles in paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i had 5 or 6 large bubbles appear under the eggshell finish on some skirting, after opening these up I found knots under (presume the never had knotting solution on them before paint).
Anyhow I've chipped the paint away over and around these knots,wiped them down with white spirit to remove the sap, sanded them down and the surrounding area and applied knotting solution.
My problem is once I fill these (polyfilla) and rub down when I damp wipe down to remove the dust all the filler rubs out , done this twice now and its happened both times :cry:

What can I do?, should I prime the filler after sanding, then lightly rub down and then damp wipe

PLEASE Help me this is really holding me up and I cant get all my painting done with all this dust flying about

Sponsored Links
You do like that damp rag over filler dont you lol ;)

Just dust them off after you have rubbed them down...it will be fine, decorators do use damp rags etc afterwards.

And you should be primeing the bare wood before you fill it...the water in the filler absorbs into the wood and can sometimes cause the filler to fall out.

yea sure do, just trying to get a good finish that hasnt got embedded dust in it.

so just sand brush of and paint straight over the top - I'll give it a go but sounds like my finish will be poor ie full of dust particles

I get fed up saying this. Use car body filler, perfect results in no time at all.

Sponsored Links
yea sure do, just trying to get a good finish that hasnt got embedded dust in it.

so just sand brush of and paint straight over the top - I'll give it a go but sounds like my finish will be poor ie full of dust particles

You are always going to get a certain amount of dust, be it airbourne, contamination in the paint, or idrty equipment the dust left by polyfilla is negligable...tiny tiny amount.

Just give the surface a good dusting off with a dusting brush or a dry paint brush

well opened up the bubbles, removed the old lifting paint, sanded, cleaned with white spirt, reapplied knotting solution x2, filled and painted - guess what bubbles under paint size of you thumb full of pipe smelling water.

body filler it is next time - I would have thought the wood would be bone dry by now its only 10 years old and under a radiator, might just rip it out and use MDF - no knots in that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back