Skirting, mitred, scribed now how do I fit them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
I'm after some general hints & tips with regard to skirting boards. I removed some from a ground floor some time ago and am about to replace them. I've found all the random angles, mitred a scribed the new ones, however because of the way the old plastering was done there is a gap of about 2cm deep between the brick and the back of the new board. I'm thinking to screw some wooden blocks to the brick and screw/nail the new skirting to those blocks. What tips would you have for 1) Nailing so I will not damage the surface or 2) hiding screw heads & 3) finding a way to ensure that with a few blocks the length runs true.

Regards

ChrisC.

Sponsored Links
Fix a block at each end of the wall and either pull a string line between these blocks or use a straight edge to get the blocks inbetween in line .Iwould suggest fixing both blocks and skirting with screws :)

Hi Gents,
many thanks for the replies, sorry about the delay in responding, for some reason the forum did not post that I had replies! The advice is very much appreciated. I'm still struggling though, my floor is not flat under a long run and I just can't get it sorted ;-( Any hints any one has would be much appreciated.

Regards

ChrisC.

Sponsored Links
If you are using a wide skirting which I expect you are you can scribe it to the floor .If the skirting is less than 100mm wide you should be able to push the skirting to the floor.
to do this ,lay a scrape of timber (approx 600mm long )at a angle from the floor onto the top of the skirting and stand on it with one foot (this will push it down to the floor)and fix :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back