Skirting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m building a small stud partition and I’ve miscalculated the skirting. Not sure how to sort this out, other than use very high new skirting. I was going to use a small, lower skirting board on the new wall rather than trying to match the Victorian skirting.
What’s the best way to tidy this up? I really don’t want to take the board off and re-do it, as I’ve no more plasterboard left!

Any sensible suggestions massively appreciated.

Sam
95DC2CDD-5B3F-44FB-88C4-EE1F4B6B41F1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You can squirt expanding foam in to the gap and, when cured, cut it back slightly below the surface. Then use a lightweight filler such as Toupret RedLite. If you use a powder based or regular pre-mixed filler, it is likely to crack in a few weeks. If you can't find Redlite, Red Devil Onetime is as good.

I use cheap palette knives for those kinds of fills. You should be able to achieve a near sand free finish.

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s very helpful. Do you know, is the RedLite filler similar to Red Devil onetime?

Sponsored Links
To totally tidy up the joint - Google images of “door architrave plinth block” and maybe use a similar concept ie piece of 1” x 1” that’s slightly longer that the height of your existing skirting. Use a multi tool to cut the slot in the old skirting to be able to insert the new block snug in to the corner, which will cover up that join. It will then also allow you to run much smaller skirting up to the block in a nice neat junction and still look neat. Put a chamfer on the top of the block to make it blend in, then paint same as the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back