skirting with carpet/wooden floor transition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rectangular room (two rooms knocked into one). I am planning to have carpet in the front (lounge area) and wooden floor in the rear (dining area) with some type of transition strip down the centre.

Ideally, I would like the skirting to go over the top of wooden floor so I don't have to have scotia, but as one side of the skirting is continuous run front to back it would then make the skirting too high for the carpet.
What would be the best way to do this?

I have attached a simplified plan of the floor area if it helps.
planql.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you suggest is possible, you would need to raise the skirts in the carpeted area to the same height, put a suitable filler piece under them and then decorate them.

BUT.....

this will cause potential problems in the future should you revert back to carpet. Removing skirting boards always equals re-plastering so be sure this is what you want

I have done this before.( but due to very poor floor level in 1900 house, did not realise how far out it was till the floor was laid and new skirting laid on top)
fit the skirting to carpet, as it is lower
the trim the lower edge of the skirting to suit the floor.
It scribed a line off the floor onto the skirting to give a minimal gap so very little corking used ( when level I had nearly 15mm gaps in places!!!)

You need to scribe the wooden floor section The skirting will look as though you've cut a 1/4" to 3/8" piece out of the bottom of the part that covers the wooden flooring. (I'm assuming by wooden flooring, that you mean laminate or similar). Do the wooden flooring first, then the skirting, then get the carpet fitters in.
Alternatively, you may well get away with putting the wooden flooring down, then putting the skirting over this and fix level across the room. You'll have a gap in the room where the carpet is going , but hopefully the carpet would cover this completely.

Sponsored Links
thanks all for the replies.
The skirting arrived this afternoon and at first glance I think I need to do a fair bit of scribing due to the floor being all over the place, so cutting down the wooden floor end seems to be the best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back