Skoda Fabia 2018 Lighter socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lighter socket in my wife's Fabia is permanent live and she forgets to disconect the dash cam. Before i pay money out to have it hardwired, is there an easy fix like a fuse swap? thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks for the info but i meant something i could do simply. had it been an old car i would have a go but, i don't want to mess with a brand new car! lol

If there are unused fuse spaces in the fusebox you can make a fused bridge to convert it to only on with the ignition.

This only works if one of your spare fuse holders is switched when the ignition is on and is rated for the correct current, otherwise you'll have to use a lower fuse value. For example, if the car doesn't have heated seats, but there is a spare fuse holder for it, you'll likely find that it only comes on with the ignition, so you bridge across from that fuse holder to the cigarette fuse holder.

Sponsored Links
Look up add-a-circuit on EBay and hardwire it to an ignition controlled source.

My Fabia is an old lady now (2003) and has exactly the same situation, so it looks like this is a long-standing thing. I have the same problem, but have just become habitually aware of the need to 'pull the plug' when I stop the car. To be honest, it's no real hardship and becomes and automatic thing. Perhaps you needn't go to any trouble after all. Actually, I'm scrapping it in a couple of weeks anyway.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I have seen videos of how to hard wire a dash cam and it doesn't seem a difficult job at all.

Sorry. I've just noticed that someone else posted something very similar. Still, you have two slightly different approaches to learn from!

My Fabia is an old lady now (2003) and has exactly the same situation, so it looks like this is a long-standing thing. I have the same problem, but have just become habitually aware of the need to 'pull the plug' when I stop the car. To be honest, it's no real hardship and becomes and automatic thing. !
Pull the plug - like using a choke on an old car ;) once learned never forgotten. Well at least it won't hurt your leg like if you forget to ****** the mag. on a Brit single motorcycle:unsure:

There was a car, maybe a Peugeot, where you could change the cigar lighter to being ignition controlled by swapping the position of the fuse.

Sponsored Links
Back