Sky+ Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried to replace the hard-drive in a Sky+ box? My box wont record anymore and Sky say the hard drive is kaput. Have tried re-setting, re-booting and re-installing the system but no joy. Dont want to pay £200 plus for new system (only 18 months old). Sky say it can be done, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Also some info here. See the section on "Can I fit a larger Hard Drive in my Sky+ Box?".

tanto said:
Has anyone tried to replace the hard-drive in a Sky+ box? My box wont record anymore and Sky say the hard drive is kaput. Have tried re-setting, re-booting and re-installing the system but no joy. Dont want to pay £200 plus for new system (only 18 months old). Sky say it can be done, any ideas?

Yes, i replaced the HDD in my Sky+ box about a year ago and put in a Maxtor 160GB drive.

I had early problems due to heat, disabling instant rewind solved the problem as the HDD doesn't run constantly.

The main problem is that the Sky+ boxes are a bit choosy about which drives they like, some will work and some don't but the above links cover ones that have been used and worked.

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the information regarding the hard drive. I will have to see if I can source a replacement locally and try to repair the box myself. Will keep you posted on how it goes, thanks again,
Dave.

Back