Sky pin number

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my daughters has somehow (I think) managed to set a parental? pin number in my Amstrad Sky box.It seems to ask for a pin only on certain films.Is there a way to overcome this that anyone knows of or is it a case of ringing Sky?

cheers R

Sponsored Links
The standard pin number is usually the last 4 digits on the sky card. If your daughter has changed it and can't remember the new one, I think the only option is to phone sky.

To turn off parental control go to services > parental control and then change it back, but you will need the pin for this.

Haven't they recently changed the setup so all 12+ films require a pin before 9pm watershed?

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
Haven't they recently changed the setup so all 12+ films require a pin before 9pm watershed?

Yep SKY have been messing around with HD & Sky+ boxes. As well as some films requiring a PIN during the day they have also made it so that between 23:00 hours and 05:00 hours if your Sky box is not used for longer than 2 hours it will automatically go to standby :eek:

Imagine the scene sat there watching a film longer than 2 hours and your Sky shuts down :rolleyes:
And then scramble round for the remote to switch it back on again :evil:

they have also made it so that between 23:00 hours and 05:00 hours if your Sky box is not used for longer than 2 hours it will automatically go to standby :eek:

Imagine the scene sat there watching a film longer than 2 hours and your Sky shuts down :rolleyes:
And then scramble round for the remote to switch it back on again
There is an option to turn off this function if not wanted.

Paper Spark said:
As well as some films requiring a PIN during the day they have also made it so that between 23:00 hours and 05:00 hours if your Sky box is not used for longer than 2 hours it will automatically go to standby :eek:
IMO, this is a good idea, especially with Sky+. Many people leave their sky boxes on. Sky+, however, uses quite a bit more electric due to its hard disk. But its hard for some people (ie. my parents) to get into the habit of turning it off. I've known them turn off the telly completely, yet leave the HDD spinning. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they ought to update this so that Sky+ can tell if the output is being recieved by something. Not sure its possible though.

The Sky+ and HD boxes still use the HDD even when in standby a routine is built into the software to do regular housekeeping of the HDD so you will hear it spinning every so often during the night. The HD box isn't especially quiet when doing this either ;)

BoxBasher said:

I was trying to watch a film the other night that started at 10 past 10 :evil:

tim west said:
The Sky+ and HD boxes still use the HDD even when in standby a routine is built into the software to do regular housekeeping of the HDD so you will hear it spinning every so often during the night. The HD box isn't especially quiet when doing this either ;)

Thanks for this. maybe a timer plug is called for :LOL:

Hard disk drives last longer when left spinning than when being started/stopped ... This is why it's best to leave a computer powered up and simply turn off the monitor ... Likewise, leave Sky+ to its own devices.

Sponsored Links
Back