Sky Q box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know whether it is possible to control a SkyQ box via a smart phone so that you can switch the TV on/off and prevent kids from watching it for too long? Also if I bought a second hand one off ebay, will I have access to the free to air channels and recording capabilities or does that require a paid subscription?

I have the free view version of a Sky+ box at the moment and just wondering if I can purchase a device which will allow me remote parental controls over the TV when I am not home.

I dont want this discussion to turn into a good parenting guide and how to discipline children, just the facts for the technical solution please :)

Sponsored Links
Sky Q doesn't work like the older Sky boxes. For a start, the box remains the property of Sky and is only ever on loan to the end user for the duration of the contract. In simpler terms, it's not theirs to sell to you. Read more here: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/...-from-auction-sites-such-as-eBay/ba-p/2772286

Next, Sky Q uses a different form of LNB (the lump with the wires attached on the dish). The one that works with Sky+/+HD boxes isn't compatible with Sky Q boxes. You either need the proper Q LNB or a hybrid version that supports both formats.

Even if you pay for and fit a hybrid LNB, then my best guess is that to make use of any of the features that the box will require an active subscription. This is only my guess though, but if you think about it, features such as recording are tied to a contract, so wouldn't it be reasonable to presume that child controls are too?

If you find out any different then I'd be fascinated to know. The overwhelming majority of info I've seen suggests that the Q boxes won't be activated by Sky unless officially supplied. Since they're only supplied under contract then attempting to use them without seems to be a bit of a waste of time. Personally, I'd look for an alternative solution. This just seems fraught with too many obstacles.

Ok thanks, I was not aware. How about the old Sky+ box, is there an app I can use to connect to it without having an active subscription?

Sponsored Links
In theory, I suppose it could. If you have a smart phone or tablet then try the Sky+ app. Two minor hurdles though: first, you need to set up internet access to talk to your home router via 3G/4G or public Wi-Fi. That could be something of a challenge if you haven't got a fixed IP address at home. Once you've achieved, you'll then need to ensure that the App works via that route.

The second issue is more global though. The app only uses the soft power switch. In other words it puts the box in standby but there's nothing to stop someone using the local remote or pushing the power ON/Off button on the box to wake it again. That kind of defeats the object, really.

I'm not even convinced that the Parental controls on a standard Sky+HD box are going to give ypu the degree of control you're looking for. Here's more info https://www.sky.com/help/articles/set-up-parental-controls-on-your-tv

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back