Sky+ stuck in standby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our sky+ box seems to get stuck in standby mood. When we switch off, the red light comes on but when we try to switch on, the red light quickly flickers to green then goes back to red, we have to leave it a short time then press on and it works ok, it does default to the sky set up channel as soon as it comes back on.
Is there anything I can do to try and cure the problem

Sponsored Links
Try doing a forced firmware update. This isn't as scary as it sounds. Just follow these steps. You won't break anything. The worst that can happen (barring a power cut during the update) is that you're box is still the same.

Here's what to do.

1) Switch the box off at the mains. [Don't switch off by pulling the power cable at the back. It's not a clean switch)
2) Pull the viewing card.
3) Push and hold in the backup button on the front panel whist switching the mains back on. Keep the backup button held in for 25-30 seconds. If your TV is on you'll see an information screen telling you that the firmware is being updated. The update takes about 10 minutes.
4) Once the update is done the box will switch itself to standby. Switch off again at the mains, then put the power back on. It will take a minute or so for the box to reboot before the green light can be switched on. Go put the kettle on
5) Switch the box on with the remote and flick through the channels until you get an onscreen prompt to put in yur Sky viewing card. At this point your update is complete.

Trouble shooting... If your card isn't recognised then do a power off/power on cycle like before. Time for another cup of tea

:)

Just done as you suggested and it seems to have worked, "fingers crossed"
Thanks for the help and advice. :D

Sponsored Links
I switch on my Sky using the TV Guide button not on/off for two reasons.
1) Hold finger on too long and it goes off again.
2) Wife keeps using Sky remote for TV and I end up turning TV off instead of Sky on.

Just an update. My wife switched the sky box on yesterday, it did exactly the same thing ie would not come on, so in frustration she hit the box with her hand and since then it has worked fine :D

There must be something in that saying "if all else fails hit it"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back