Slabbing on top of Slabs/concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people. I am intending to lay a natural stone slab over the top of a grey council slab. The slabs are unlevel but i can sort that out with the mortar base. Can i do this and is it best to spot the new slabs with the mortar or use a full mortar base considering the sub base? In the past i have used a fairly dry mix for laying slabs but have recently been told to use a wet mix for laying slabs. The new slabs are between 18mm and 34mm thick and i have about 7.5 inches to the damp course. Any advice/help would be appreciated :D .

Sponsored Links
on the assumption that they are sound and there is no movement then you could lay them on a wet full mortar bed

There is definitely no movement (twenty odd years of being ignored) and the concrete sections in between the slabs can ensure this. Is it 4 to 1 for the mix and can i use building sand as i have a massive abundance of this?

Get some sharp sand and use a combo - gives the mortar more crack resistance. Follow the wealth of other advice often given on here too regarding laying stone slabs.

Sponsored Links
personally i always use building sand for laying. personal choice, everyone differs on here! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back