Slamming strips on doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just been told that slamming strips around a door should be fitted after the carpet, when the actual door is fitted. Is that correct and it seems bizarre from my perspective.

Thanks,
James[/u]

Sponsored Links
Do you mean door stops? Never a good idea to slam doors!

If so door stops need to be fitted after the door has been fitted to ensure correct fit of the door. Really all of that ought to be done before any carpet is fitted in my view.

Hi,
I've just been told that slamming strips around a door should be fitted after the carpet, when the actual door is fitted. Is that correct and it seems bizarre from my perspective.

Thanks,
James[/u]

+1 for the above post

Simply put You have been told wrong.
Slamming strips are fitted as soon as the door is final fitted in the frame..

If you are being told different the only reasons I can think of is there are none , They have been cut short or he's simply being idle as its taken longer than he thought and he needed to go

So would I be right in thinking that the correct way to do this is to
i.) Fit the door,
ii.) Fit the slamming strips/door stops
iii.) Take door off
iv.) Fit carpet,
v.) Trim door and refit?

Thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
Slamming
the act of injecting a drug into your veins.

A southern term for taking a crap.

A term used by postmen (mailmen) in the U.K for mail that is purposely not delivered, usually for top floor flats.

Violent sex.

Now means a door stop? :eek:

So would I be right in thinking that the correct way to do this is to
i.) Fit the door,
ii.) Fit the slamming strips/door stops
iii.) Take door off
iv.) Fit carpet,
v.) Trim door and refit?

Thanks,
James
You might even want to paint them between 2) and 3) so not a good idea to have carpet down then.

consider lift-off hinges, which make it quicker and easier.

Thanks for all the help, that's put my mind at ease! And made me reconsider my choice of joiner.

Apologise for the terminology, that's what people have been calling them round here.

If the door frames are relatively square, and about the right size, would you recommend fitting them myself. I'm OK at DIY, built a bit of furniture, can fit skirting boards, flooring etc.

Thanks for your advice, dead helpful

for the last 25 years or so that I have lived and worked here most folks call them slamming strips in the Midlands more so in the east than the west
Don't know why but they do LOL

What never seen a door taken off when fitting a carpet? I'm surprised at that to be honest , unless I'm just unlucky enough to have worked in places that needed the doors off to have their bottom rails trimmed.
Oh yes , I'm from the midlands so the term slamming strip isn't anything new to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back