Slate choice

M

marsaday

My house has welsh blue slate i think as it is 100 yrs old.

I am thinking of redoing the rood and adding a membrane in the next 2 yrs.

What do people think about using a different coloured slate ?

Ours is a semi and so if i used a different slate colour it may look odd, but i really like the green slate you get from the Lakes. Apparently it is the best slate on the market. It comes from Honiston slate mine.

What do people think ?

Sponsored Links
The green slates are usually called Westmorelands and are very good slates, but they will not lay as smoothly as a good Welsh slate roof. This gives a very different appearance especially due to the thickness of the slates.
You can also get another slate called Burlington Blues which have the same charecteristics as the greens.

I think maybe a welsh Penryhn may be a good option.

Thats for the info. Yes i think the cumbrian slate is a little thicker, which i like, but matched up to my neighbours i think it will not look right.

Is this welsh slate only avaliable through the merchants or can i go direct to a mine ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back