Slate roof major overhaul - Glasgow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Mine is ageing & showing signs of minor leaks - nothing catestrophic. We're considering our options. We've spend a few £k in the past few years, so its approaching the point of replacement we feel but its abig cost.

a) continue to patch
b) major overhaul
c) replace completely

Whats the difference between b) and c)? One of the largest issues we have is the 'horsehair' underfelt that seems to degrade into the attic covering it in black dust. Anything to remedy that is welcome.

I'm keen to do somethign to replace the felt with modern equivalent. Any suggestions? Would a major overhaul cover this? is it worth putting the old slates back if they are in a bad way?

Its a complex roof shape but I need some techncial advice before I speak to a local roofer.

View media item 49293
Lastly, whats a reasonable price £/m2 to budget for these works?

Sponsored Links
i can help you out there, if its scottish slate id take them off refelt roof re-dress the slate then put them back on

Hi, please advise how to get in touch and provide indicative £/m2 or total price. Thanks, GB

Sponsored Links
I was in the same situ last year. What makes you think you need a new roof? unless over 25% have slipped or it has nail sickness I would stick with it. Scottish slate is surprisingly long lasting and are appropriate for your house. I ended up replacing the flashings and valleys. should be good for another 30 years. Whatever you do avoid the fugly tiles your neighbour has desecrated his house with. I was quoted 25k for a roof a bit bigger than yours in spanish slate.

View media item 56555
Prices to replace the above roof welcome - indicative prices based on area and complexity welcome. I'll then be going to accredited roofing contractors for actuals once I have a budget cost.

Circa 84m2 with various surfaces / shapes. Proabably quite a lot of leadwork required in comparison to most roofs.

Thanks, BD [/img]

Replace with what?

Price will vary greatly between concrete tiles, and scotch slate.

Can you not provide some ball parks for both? Hence the question, as I've no clue. Presume all other costs however r fixed irrespective of slate style. Interested to know installed slate prices for both in £/m2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back