Slate Roof - Selling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a victorian end terrace with a high pitched roof, and I was wondering how much I could sell the slate on the roof for and how much a new tiled roof would cost out of the sale?

I hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You should consider the future chances of selling your house first.

Unless you live next to houses who have done the same these "conversions" look dreadful. It would definately stop me buying a house.

Also bear in mind most of your slates will be reusable if your roof needs work.

Like I say, my house is the end terrace, and the next three have tiled roofs rather than slate

It depends on a number of factors like the size of the slates , the condition , the percentage that you can salvage to sell on and also the type and cost of tile you want to replace the slates with. You would be better off calling a Roofing Merchants that buys slates and ask what they pay for the size you have , then ask what the new tiles of your choice cost . From that you can work it out very loosely on the amount you have on your roof but until you know the condition of the slates then you won't know how much of it will be saleable. I have done reroofs before where you get lucky and the slate coming off will indeed cover the cost of the tiles but on others the roof slates have looked good but were found to be absolutely perished when they are stripped off. Best advice is to get a reputable roofer to advise you on the condition of the roof and take it from there.

Sponsored Links
Best way to check if slates are good is to analise the backs of them... thouugh the face may be good the backs are often perished and if they are powdery or wose still if you can scratch away the under surface with a fingernail then they are worthless and no merchant will touch them.
As often as not however the slates are reusable and the only problem is nail sickness or nail fatigue where the fixings have perished.
Personally I would never tile where I could reinstate original slates, but thats only my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back