Slate roof tiles on the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mass of reclaimed slates... Some up to half a metre across... In good condition which I thought might look good on the floor??? I know it might sound stupid.... But is it a bad idea to use roof slates on the floor... Hence the reason they call them roof slates!? :)

any ideas about the pro's and con's?? Ie cutting... Laying and taking weight?? Was considering trying to do my four square metre utility room as a tester????

What ya think?? John.

Sponsored Links
They are pretty chunky slates.... 150yr old... Not your paper thin uniformed size slates you buy these days....

Looking at slate tiles the last time I was in bandq gave me the idea as they were the same thickness as my spare slates..... Just not £40 a square metre????

I thought a decent bed of grout would solve any breaking issues???

It might work if you dropped them onto a wet bed of tile adhesive. Better doing a small area and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
It is but it won't go anywhere if bedded into a bed of adhesive.

Asked a roofer for his opinion. He says welsh slate is better than Scottish, as it's less brittle.... He suggests pouring on self levelling concrete to an inch.... To make sure it's totally level... Then applying tile adhesive.

He's heard it done before sucessfully. So here's hoping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back