Sleeper walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If 'I'm building a suspended floor I will need to support this in the middle with a sleeper wall to stop excessive bounce. Span is around 3m.

Do you have to build a honeycomb wall for the whole length, or is it permissible to build a number of piers and place a joist at a right angle to the normal joist runs?

Is that an allowed method?

Sponsored Links
is the total span 3m an you want to support the joists at 1.5m?

is the total span 3m an you want to support the joists at 1.5m?

Yes that’s roughly the setup. It’s how the rest of the house is designed. I could use bigger joists but then that means removing more earth to provide the gap between the timber and any damp on the ground.

Sponsored Links
I could use bigger joists but then that means removing more earth to provide the gap between the timber and any damp on the ground.
As opposed to removing earth to put a foundation in, wide concrete strip and build a brick wall for the sake of some 150mm joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back